The Joy of Camping in Sri Lanka
Lush green forests, wide sandy beaches, misty mountains, cascading waterfalls, ancient ruins, and wide open plains. It is not difficult to find good camping grounds amongst the exotic scenery of Sri Lanka. This picturesque setting will make your camping experience memorable.
Arrival in Colombo
On your arrival at Colombo International Airport you will be met by our ground staff representative and Chauffeur Guide. You will be assisted to the air-conditioned vehicle and driven to your Hotel in Negombo
Dinner & Overnight Stay at the hotel in Negombo.
Enjoy breakfast in the hotel. Check out and proceed to Wilpattu. On arrival check into the campsite and relax.
Dinner & Overnight Stay at the Campsite.
After breakfast you will be picked up in a modified jeep for the morning game drive to the Wilpattu National Park.
Wilpattu National Park is also known as the “Land of Lakes” of the existence of natural lakes. The park is 131,693 hectares and is located approximately 180 km north of Colombo. It includes approximately sixty lakes and tanks. Wilpattu is the largest and one of the oldest National Parks in Sri Lanka and is world renowned for its Leopard population.
Upon completing the morning safari return to the campsite and relax.
Visit the park again for the evening safari.
Dinner & Overnight stay at the hotel in Wilpattu.
Wilpattu Anuradhapura Sigiriya
After breakfast at the hotel checkout and proceed to Anuradhapura.
Begin the holy journey to these Ancient Ruins with a city tour in Anuradhapura.
Anuradhapura is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and was the capital of Sri Lanka from the 05th Century B.C. to the end of the 10th Century A.D. It was the most celebrated of Sri Lanka’s ancient cities. The greatest treasures of the city are called Dagobas which are constructed of bricks and are hemispherical in shape. The highlights in the ancient city are Ruvanveliseya, Jetavanarama, Thuparamaya, The Sri Maha Bodhi Tree, Samadhi Statue.& Isurumuniya Temple is also famous as this is the temple where ceremonies to the Rain God were performed. Abhayagiri, Lankarama and Mirisawetiya are some of the iconic sites to be covered during your visit to the holy city of Anuradhapura.
From there you proceed to the ancient city of Sigiriya!
Dinner & Overnight stay at the hotel in Sigiriya.
Sigiriya Pidurangala Sigiriya
Leave around 5.30 am to Pidurangala.
Pidurangala is an enormous rock located a few kilometres north of Sigiriya.
There is an interlinked historical story between Sigiriya and Pidurangala ancient rocks. There was a King named Kasyapa who whilst building a Fortress on Sigiriya Rock in the 5th century, he moved monks living around Sigiriya to a new monastery on Pidurangala Rock. An ancient cave temple still houses objects from various vintages that reflect Buddhist, Hindu and western beliefs, and the stupa to the left of the temple entrance is believed to mark the spot where King Kasyapa was cremated.
Pidurangala is a challenging climb of 20 minutes (one way). There is no clear path to the top: steep, uneven steps give way to an expanse of boulders and crevices that climbers must navigate in order to reach the summit. From the top, there are glorious vistas of the surrounding landscape and an incredible view of the majestic Sigiriya Rock.
Return to the hotel for breakfast.
The rest of the day is at your leisure.
Dinner & Overnight stay at the hotel in Sigiriya.
Sigiriya Kandy Knuckles (Thangappuwa)
A hike up the Rock Fortress of Sigiriya after breakfast is a must do as part of the tour of the Ancient ruins.
You are advised to make an early start in order to avoid the heat of the day and the crowds.
Sigiriya being named as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is also famous for Sigiriya Frescos, the Boulder Gardens, and the water garden. There is a wall known as the Mirror Wall that shines even today and there are more than 700 Graffiti written on the wall. You will also see the Lion’s paws with the stairs built inside the body and the remains of the Royal Palace with large Water Tanks on the summit.
Return to the hotel & check out and proceed to Kandy.
Sacred Temple Tour
Kandy a beautiful city located in the hill country also known as the last capital of Sri Lanka.
Visit the Sacred Temple of the Tooth which is also called the “Dalada Maligawa” by the local Buddhists who consider it one of the most venerable places of worship. The Tewawa, is a ritual conducted morning, noon and evening depicting ancient customs & pagentry and is the best time to visit the Sacred Temple of the Tooth.
A short city tour of Kandy, a drive around the serene Kandy Lake and a walk around the busy bazaar will give you a great taste of the beautiful city snuggled in the hill country.
From Kandy you will be driven to the Knuckles Mountain range named for the series of folds & peaks which resembles the Knuckles of a closed fist.
Arrive at the drop off point of the campsite at Knuckles and be guided to the tents for a leisurely afternoon.
Dinner & Overnight stay at the tents in Knuckles.
(All tents are equipped with solar powered chargeable lamps. No electricity is available at the camp site as it is located in a remote area. However, we operate a generator from 6pm to 9pm and 6am to 9am daily to operate the Hot water facility and for charging mobile devices.)
After breakfast, start the trekking to Heeloya Village.
You will be transferred to the starting point of the trekking and from there you begin the 4 hours leisurely journey. The trek is mostly down-hill through the authentic terrace paddy fields and you will get a chance to see the farmers going about their daily activities by old traditional methods. This unique experience, the breathtaking scenery, the simplicity of village life and beauty of nature will be unforgettable memory.
At the end of the Trek you will be picked up and driven back to camp.
Dinner & Overnight stay at the tents in Knuckles.
Knuckles (Thangappuwa) Weerawila
After Breakfast, check out and begin the journey to Weerawila.
Upon arriving Weerawila, check in to the lodge and relax.
Dinner & Overnight stay at the lodge in Weerawila.
Weerawila Lunugamwehera Weerawila
After breakfast, you will be driven in modified jeeps for a morning Safari in the Lunugamwehera National Park.
Covering an area of 24,000 hectares, Lunugamvehera National Park was established for the protection of elephants migrating from Yala to Udawalawe National Park.
The dry-mixed forests are rich in biodiversity and a home to a large number of wild elephants and buffaloes. It is also home some other species of mammals such as fishing cat, grey mongoose, wild boar, spotted deer and mouse deer are found in this area.
Upon completing the safari return to the lodge and spend the rest of the day at your leisure.
Dinner & Overnight stay at the Lodge in Weerawila.
After Breakfast, visit Weerawila Bird Sanctuary for a bird watching nature trail.
A composite of succulent wetlands, the bird sanctuary attracts over 200 bird species, including the Majestic Junglefowl, Ceylon Woodshrikes, Great Cormorant, Egrets, Swallows, Barbets and many more colourfully chirpy winged species, where the naturalist will show you what to look for while regaling you with noteworthy facts and stories from the bush-hikes.
Return to the lodge check out and drive to Unawatuna.
Dinner & Overnight stay at the hotel in Unawatuna.
There is much to explore in Unawatuna. It is known for its beautiful coral reef and palm fringed beaches. The Sea Turtle Farm & Hatchery south of town protects endangered species.
Spend these days exploring & enjoying relaxing on the beach at your leisure.
(Your chauffeur will not be available on these days)
Dinner & Overnight stay at the Hotel.
As your magical journey comes to an end, you will be driven safely back to the airport for your flight home.
- Quote is subject to availability and price fluctuations prior to booking due to government decision on taxes; the above rate is valid as per mentioned period.
- All drive times are approximate and are subject to change.
- All reservations subject to availability at time of booking.
- The standard check in time in Sri Lanka is 1400 hours and the Checkout time is 12 noon.
- Tips for restaurants and hotel would be LKR 200.00 per person and for the driver/guide USD 5.00 per person per day, however this is only an indication and guideline, the decision of tipping solely depends on your level of satisfaction.
- Train seat reservation for 01st / 02nd class are subject to availability at the time of reserving them.
- On Poya and other religious days alcohol will not be served at hotels and restaurants.
- Please note that plucking of Tea leaves is not done on public holidays & Sundays.
As such the Tea production process does not take place, however a tour of the factory will be arranged where the process is explained.
- When visiting religious sites such as Polonnaruwa, Kandy Temple, your attire should cover up to ankle length and sleeveless tops/shirts/t-shirts will not be allowed. It is also advised to bring a pair of socks as you will be asked to remove slippers/shoes when entering sacred temples.
- You can always change currency at the airport and a local SIM card can be purchased at the airport of Sri Lanka.
- Cancellation Policy:
- If cancelled 61 days prior to your arrival 75% refund made.
- If cancelled 60 – 31 days prior to your arrival 75% cancellation charged.
- If cancelled less than 30 days prior to your arrival 100% cancellation charged.
- Accommodation in all hotels mentioned above.
- Private air-conditioned vehicle and an English-speaking Chauffer Guide for the duration of the trip in Sri Lanka (including pickup and drop-off at the airport in Sri Lanka).
- Entrance fees to all sites mentioned in the program (Anuradhapura, Pidurangala, Sigiriya Rock Fortress & Temple of the Tooth at Kandy)
- Charges for the Game Drives at Wilpattu & Lunugamwehera National Parks by modified jeeps.
- Charges for trekking in Heeloya Village at Knuckles.
- Charges for Weerawila Bird Sanctuary bird watching nature trail
- Local government taxes & service charges.
- Meals – As per the program.
- Oil and Fuel charges.
- Meet and greet at the airport with paging board at arrival terminal.
- Bottle of Water during the tour
- Welcome flower garland on arrival.
- Departure gift.
- Visas can be pre-arranged through the web site www.eta.gov.lk.
- Any entrance fees to tourist and other attractions not mentioned on the “Inclusions” Section.
- Lunch on Tour.
- Optional tours and activities.
- Airport taxes.
- Camera & Video permits at Cultural sights for commercial purposes.
- All expenses of personal nature.
- Tips and port rage.
- Spa and wellness treatments.